Monday, March 3, 2014

Less than 11 weeks to Ironman, where did the time go?!

So no races to report since the Surfside Marathon debacle, but that doesn't mean we can't do a few updates!

Next race on the schedule is the Texas 70.3 in Galveston, but my biggest focus right now is Ironman Texas in May. This will be my second IMTX, and here's to hoping for a new PR! I did just complete a rest week where I reduce the intensity and mileage to give my body a chance to recover and am ready to hit it hard again! Time to get to it!

The last week had a big good-buy and a couple small hellos. 

Unfortunately this past week I had to retire my Trek Speed Concept 7.0 due to frame damage from a rock :(. Good news is the guys at Campus Cycles in Denver are helping me get on a new Speed Concept 9.5 next month. Until then I will be training on a friends tri bike so I can uphold my aero position strength. 
So sleek, so sexy, so... neon

So it's no secret to anyone that I loved my Newton Running Distance U's and I ran those poor shoes into the ground. But dare I say it, the Distance Elites bring even more to the table. The shoes is a bit lighter, and has some more ventilation through the mesh upper. This is great down here where every tiny breeze helps in the Texas heat. They also have a wider toes bow which many runners (myself included) prefer as it reduces hot spots and blistering on the toes.


It's a wee bitty bonk breaker!

I also recently received several boxes of Bonk Breaker bars. I chose the bonk bites as I use them mainly as a small breakfast-like snack before my early morning runs and a full bar is a bit much at 4AM. I have been running about 8 miles and having a bar before I start helps me keep up energy and not get hungry until the very end of the run. The taste is also quite a bit better than bars I had tried previously!

 

   

Recipe of the Week: Kielbasa Lentil Soup

So I can't take any credit for this one, my girlfriend (who is a much better cook than I am) took a few of her favorite recipes, combined them and came up with this!

What you'll need: 
Nomnomnomnom
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 lg onion chopped
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • Approx 1 lb (14-16 oz) kielbasa, sliced (Could be subbed with chicken or turkey sausage)
  • 1-14.5 oz can diced or stewed tomatoes
  • 7 cups chicken stock
  • 1 lb (16 oz) lentils, rinsed
  • 2 bay leaves
  • ½ cup white wine (Could sub in water if preferred)
  • 3-9 oz fresh spinach (as much as desired)
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley 

Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium heat.  Add onions and sauté until glossy, about 5 minutes. Add chopped carrots, celery, garlic, and paprika; sauté for 10 more minutes.

Add sausage, canned tomatoes, chicken stock, rinsed lentils, and bay leaves. Stir well and then add white wine. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for at least 90 minutes, until lentils are fully cooked and tender.

In the final minutes of cooking, add fresh spinach and parsley. Enjoy!

Favorite workout this week: Half Mile Interval Run

How it goes: 1 mile easy running for warms up
                       4-5 x (0.5 mile fast + 0.5 miles easy jog)
                       Remainder cool down

What it looks like: 

This is a workout suggested by my training partner, I don't know the exact science behind why it makes me faster but I think part of it is during my long runs I have thoughts like "Well at least I'm not doing my half mile interval pace" and it makes those seem easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment